Re: Downloading music encoded in LilyPad

From: David Bobroff
Subject: Re: Downloading music encoded in LilyPad
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 07:52:19 +0000

Roger and Myra wrote:
I often download music from CPDL and other places.
Sometimes, the music is available as LilyPad as well as midi & PDF.
I downloaded the LilyPad program so I could get music in a form where I can transpose, extract parts etc., but I can't make it go!
When I click on "LilyPad" after a score I want, I get a bunch of
text.  Is that normal?  If so, then what?

Roger Morris
aka Papamy

Yes, this is normal. LilyPond uses a text-based input. The text file is processed by LilyPond and outputs a PDF of the finished music. It is possible to run LilyPond on *.ly files that you download, but be aware that the input syntax changes as LilyPond evolves and older files may not work correctly with newer versions of LilyPond.

-David