Lilypond for serial music?

From: Eyolf Østrem
Subject: Lilypond for serial music?
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 22:44:36 +0100

The thread about strange meters made me wonder: have any of you
lilypudlians used LP to write serial music? It would seem to be an ideal
combination: make a variable and expose it to different output parameters.
I assume that with some scheme code, a sequence of pitches could be
translated into other series like rhythmic values, dynamics, etc., either
through hard-coded permutations or generated from the series by way of some
kind of algorithm.

If anyone has experiences to share, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

I can often say: "It's not for me, it's for my son" when I ask this kind of
question at gaming sites etc. -- this time around it's for a colleague who
writes serial-tonal music. I feel so sorry for him when he sits there, the
night before the premiere, like a latter-day Mozart, and writes out all his
permutations, when it could have been done by a simple "lilypond
weirdly.ly"

Eyolf

--
You will be audited by the Internal Revenue Service.