December Documentation Donation Drive

From: Graham Percival
Subject: December Documentation Donation Drive
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 23:28:53 -0800

The Grand Documentation Project has been going for almost four months now. I think that everybody agrees that it's a good thing and the docs are much better. You can see it for yourself here:

http://web.uvic.ca/~gperciva/

As with all volunteer projects, interest waxes and wanes. People join, people leave, and slowly work gets done. Most people send one update each week, others send me five updates in two days and then nothing for two weeks, and one person has sent me an update almost every day for the past three months.

My role in GDP is strictly managerial. I give orders, I arbitrate discussions, and I provide technical support. I don't do any of the actual work myself[1]. (think of all those Dilbert jokes about bosses)

[1] ok, if there's a one-word fix, or a simple formatting problem, I'll deal with it myself. But all *real* work is done by other people.

Currently there are three people working on the docs. Trevor Daniels is rewriting the entire Learning Manual by himself. Eyolf Ostrem (sorry, no funny characters from this keyboard :) is rewriting the entire NR chapter 1 by himself (and will later tackle NR 2, 3, etc... by himself). And Ralph Palmer is fixing small formatting issues in both manuals.

My hope was to have all of NR 1 finished by the end of 2007. That obviously isn't going to happen. My current goal is to have a _first draft_ of NR 1 by the end of the year... this might also not happen.

If you want to procrastinate your Christmas shopping (or "holiday shopping", for anybody in the Politically-Correct USA), please consider helping out with GDP. Get in touch with me, look at the TODO lists, etc. If you have a preference for a particular job, great! If you really have no preference at all, let me know and I'll simply assign something to you -- I'm a bit reluctant to assign a job, since it's always nicer to work on something that interests you. But if you really have no preference, I can certainly assign tasks.

I give you this absolute guarantee: I will not demand that you do anything you don't want to do. If you hate some task, just tell me and I'll suggest something else for you to work on. If you're tired of volunteering on the docs, just say so and walk away. You can quit whenever you want, no questions asked. If you were involved in GDP before and are considering joining again, the same applies: I thank you for all your work, and I would gratefully accept any more volunteer effort.

Of course, the "I don't ask for anything more than you're willing to give" rule applies to everybody else, too. There are huge TODO lists. I'm not willing to do anything that's on a TODO list -- as I said, I only supervise this project. ("just supervising" still eats up 10-15 hours a week. It's not like I'm slacking off here!) If nobody offers to do a particular task, it will continue to sit on the TODO list. The documentation will continue to have those flaws.

LilyPond is a volunteer project. The quality of our documentation -- or bug reporting system, or website, or really anything -- is directly related to the amount of effort people put into it.

Cheers,
- Graham Percival, LilyPond Documentation Editor