Re: How do I put parentheses around some notes?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: How do I put parentheses around some notes?
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 09:51:27 -0500

Hello,

What I want is to parenthesize a complete chord, not just individual notes

This gets close to what you want, I think:
____________________

\version "2.10.33"
\paper { line-width = 3\in }

parChords = \relative
{
    \partial 4
        \once \override TextScript #'extra-offset = #'(-1 . -5)
        \once \override TextScript #'font-size = #3
                <c f a c>4^\markup { "(  )" } |
    <c e g c>1 \bar "|."
}

\score { \parChords }

What's missing now is a way to vertically stretch the parentheses, without altering the font size (i.e., without making the parentheses themselves any thicker).
I don't know how to do this, but someone else might.

Worst case scenario: use \postscript and draw your own parentheses!  ;-)

Hope this helps,
Kieren.