Two midi questions

From: Alasdair McAndrew
Subject: Two midi questions
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:58:35 +1100

  1. I have used

    \set Staff.midiInstrument = "viola"

    but the midi output still seems to contain a piano sound in it.  It's as though I can add an instrument sound to the midi file, but not turn off the default piano sound.  What's going on, and how can I fix it?
  2. To change the midi tempo, I used

    \tempo 4=80 \once \override Score.MetronomeMark #'transparent = ##t

    which seems unnecessarily clumsy.   Wouldn't it be easier to have a "midiTempo" command, so that

    \midiTempo 4=80

    would have the same effect as the line above?

Thanks,
Alasdair