Rests in Percussion Notation

From: Reilly
Subject: Rests in Percussion Notation
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:29:20 -0500

Can I manipulate whole and half measures rests in various 1-line staves?

In Lilypond, I've experimented with three 1-line staff options (see code at end of message):

        Custom Staff (setting # of lines to 1)
        Rhythmic Staff
        Percussion Staff (setting # of lines to 1)

RESULTS

Custom Staff:
        No bar lines
        No end of staff double line
        Stems incorrect (down instead of up)
        Half rest should be below line
        Whole rests should rest on line not levitate above line

        Percussion Clef good
        4/4 Time Signature good

Rhythmic Staff
        No percussion clef
        Common Time Signature instead of 4/4 Time Signature

        Bar lines good
        Stems up good
        Whole and half rests wrong (as in Custom Staff)

Drum Staff
        No bar lines
        No end of staff double line
        Stems incorrect (down instead of up)
        Half rest should be below line
        Whole rests should rest on line not levitate above line
        Input takes slightly more time

I've solved many of these issues with tweaks (see code).

Remaining Questions:
        1. Can I add bar lines to the Custom Staff?
        2. Can I add bar lines to the Drum Staff?
        3. Can I move a whole rest to below the single line?
        4. Can I move the half rest up to sit on the single line?
5. Can I float the whole rest above the single line but hang it from a short line segment?

I have not come to a decision how I want to handle whole and half rests. The percussion notation in the attached code is "acceptable." I've raised the larger issue of percussion notation in an ancillary thread (Percussion Discussion) and welcome comments there.

%       Begin Snippet

notesC =        \new Voice {
                \relative c' {

        \override Staff.StaffSymbol #'line-count = 1
        \clef percussion

        \stemUp

c1:32^\markup { \override #'(box-padding . 0.3) \box { "Custom Staff" } }
        \acciaccatura c8 c4-> r4 r2
        R1
        \acciaccatura c8 c4-> r4 r2
        \acciaccatura { c8[ c8 c8] } c4-> r8 c8 c4:32 c4->        \bar "|."

}}

notesR =        \new Voice {
                \relative c' {

        \override Staff.StaffSymbol #'line-count = 1
        \clef percussion

c1:32^\markup { \override #'(box-padding . 0.3) \box { "Rhythmic Staff" } }
        \acciaccatura c8 c4-> r4 r2
        R1
        \acciaccatura c8 c4-> r4 r2
        \acciaccatura { c8[ c8 c8] } c4-> r8 c8 c4:32 c4->        \bar "|."

}}

notesD = \new DrumVoice {
        \drummode {

        \stemUp

sn1:32^\markup { \override #'(box-padding . 0.3) \box { "Drum Staff" } }
        \acciaccatura sn8 sn4-> r4 r2
        R1
        \acciaccatura sn8 sn4-> r4 r2
        \acciaccatura { sn8[ sn8 sn8] } sn4-> r8 sn8 sn4:32 sn4-> \bar "|."

}}

\score {
        <<
                \new Staff << \notesC >>
                \new RhythmicStaff << \notesR >>
                \new DrumStaff
                        \with { \override StaffSymbol #'line-count = #1
                                        drumStyleTable = #percussion-style }
                        << \notesD >>

        \layout { ragged-right = ##t
                \context { \Staff \override TimeSignature #'style = #'numbered }
                \context { \RhythmicStaff \override TimeSignature #'style =
#'numbered
                                        \consists "Clef_engraver" }
                \context { \DrumStaff \override TimeSignature #'style =
#'numbered }

%       End Snippet