Re: Instrumental Group Names in Score

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Instrumental Group Names in Score
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 10:36:28 -0800

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 19:05:36 +0100
"Valentin Villenave" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2008/1/3, Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
>
> > We also now have the perfect place for these stylesheets: LSR.  If
> > there's any interest in this, we'll add a tag specifically for
> > stylesheets (or modules or packages or whatever we want to call
> > them).  These snippets would be just like LaTeX packages: a
> > collection of commands/tweaks/new layout, which users could
> > include at their option.
>
> ... and THAT is why we still need Graham around here... :)

What, to say "stop whining you stupid users, if you want something
done in open source, do it yourself" ?  ;)

> Nicolas' framework is simply amazing, to begin with. I don't know if
> it could be disassembled into small LSR-convenient slices, but I'd be
> happy to give it a try.
>
> He had started writing a lot of explanations about how it's done;
> let's just invite him to post his explanations on the LSR...

No, no!  Don't split it up.  And you don't need explanations.  At
laest, not for what I'm thinking.

(NB: I haven't even glanced at whatever we're talking about)

Do normal LaTeX users ever look at the details of packages?  Do
normal C++ programmers ever look at the source code of the
libraries they use?  Ok, in occasional circumstances yes, but
generally not.

Let's say that Nicolas has a file which he \includes.  This file
sets up
\instrumentName
\tempoMark   (V: you just added this to LSR)
\pageNumber
\OldFrenchStyleOfAccidentalsOrSomething
... and also automatically sets up (in \layout) number for time
signatures, increases the thickness of glissandi, and makes all
fingerings two font-sizes larger than normal.

Just dump the whole thing in LSR.  As the comment, say
"This package provides these commands
\instrumentName #'"NAME"
\tempoMark #NUMBER #'"NAME"
  for example, call \tempoMark #90 #'"Allegro"
\pageNumber #NUMBER
\OldFrench...

It also automatically does blah blah.
"

(we probably want to discourage the automatic blah blah stuff)

Now users just download the whole .ly file and include that in
their own scores.  They never need to look at the details, and
they never need to know exactly how \rightJustifyTitle works.  If
they *want* to, they can easily look at the source... but don't
delay this project by trying to write documentation for the
internals of these packages.

Cheers,
- Graham