Re: Difficult layout questions

From: Risto Vääräniemi
Subject: Re: Difficult layout questions
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 16:14:06 +0200

Dear Dominic,

The following tips work for 2.11. I'm not sure about 2.10. :-(

On 11/02/2008, Dominic Neumann wrote:
> 1. The offset between the lyriclines is a bit too high. Is there an
> easy way to reduce it?

Try e.g.: \override Lyrics.VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(-0.5 . 0.5)

The default values are '(-0.75 . 2.0). Decreasing them decreases the
spacing around lyrics. I put it in the \layout block.

> 2. I use the \set stanza = "1. " command within \lyricmode to set the
> versnumber and to set the point where the refrain begins ("Refr. ").
> When using the long string "Refr. " it sometimes sticks out of the
> left boundary.
> A similar problem occurs when typesetting longer syllables. Then the
> sometimes stick out of the right boundary what looks quite ugly.

Try: \override Score.PaperColumn #'keep-inside-line = ##t
It should help with the stanza texts and over-extending lyrics. I put
it in the \layout block. See section 1.8.1 under "Commonly tweaked
properties".

In some cases the stanza number / text gets pretty close to the
ChoirStaff or similar. You could add an extra space in front of the
text to give it more room: " Refr.". There could be a more elegant
solution, though.

> 3. Sometimes the hyphen between syllables shrinks that much that it
> looks like a dot. As this does not look good I´d like to define a
> minimum length for such hyphens. Is this possible?

Have a look at the program-reference page. There's a thing called
LyricHyphen. Under that you can find minimum length. Try to change
that.

> 4. Is it at all possible to move particular syllables a bit to the
> left or right?

\once \override LyricText #'X-offset = #VALUE
Positive values move things right and negative ones left.

I hope these help.

-Risto