Re: info about controlling direciton / placement

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: info about controlling direciton / placement
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:58:34 -0800

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:18:52 -0000
"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'd go with (2).  Good idea.  It permits a better
> explanation of the general concept of 'direction (up,
> center, down, left, right and the uses of numerical values)
> and the various commands which use it (\..up, \..down,
> \..neutral).

Ok, that's what we'll do.  Of course we'll still list the \fooUp
commands in the @predefined sections, but we won't give any other
explanation about them.

> I'd support this as a general principle for (some) other
> properties too - 'color, 'stencil, 'thickness, etc.  In
> fact, pretty well everything in the grob-interface, and
> maybe several other generally used interfaces too.  That
> might justify a separate chapter, perhaps sectioned like
> interfaces?  (Yes, Graham - later, maybe much later - but if
> we know this is where we're heading we can avoid editing up
> this sort of stuff in individual sections now :)

Nope; re-creating the IR.  For directions, which can be controlled
with ^ and _, it makes sense.  For the other things, the effort
would be better spent improving the IR directly.

Side note Mats: ^_ were introduced for ties about six months ago,
feature request by Werner I believe.  It's halfway down the NEWS.

Cheers,
- Graham