Re: GDP: What term do you use? (redux)

From: Kurt Kroon
Subject: Re: GDP: What term do you use? (redux)
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 14:16:55 -0800

On 2/17/08 1:09 PM, "Risto Vääräniemi" <address@hidden> wrote:

> More stuff:
> Quarter notes and rests seem to be named as neljännesosanuotti and
> neljännesosatauko in the glossary. They are understandable but more
> common words are neljäsosanuotti and neljäsosatauko.

Common as in:
* "Any Finnish person would understand immediately"? or
* "Any Finnish _musician_ would understand immediately"?

I'm aiming for the second case -- a "musically correct" name, but if the
"Finn on the street" can puzzle it out as a special use of ordinal numbers
(which is how it looks to me,  but that's only a guess because I don't speak
Finnish), so much the better.

> More or less the same goes for 32th notes and rests. I don't think the
> names in the glossary are really used. I think it would be more proper
> to use kolmaskymmeneskahdesosanuotti (32-osanuotti, 1/32-osanuotti)
> for the 32th note and kolmaskymmeneskahdesosatauko (32-osatauko,
> 1/32-osatauko) for the 32th rest. ...

Odd ... they're in the table under "Duration names notes and rests", but not
under the individual entry in the Glossary.

It looks like I have more cleanup to do.

Thanks!
Kurt