Re: Showing instrument name and correct clef with cue notes

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Showing instrument name and correct clef with cue notes
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 00:48:12 +0100

Hello Simon,

Am Montag, 18. Februar 2008 schrieb Simon Bailey:
> On Feb 17, 2008 12:42 AM, Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Okay, this works in most cases, but when there is a line break
> > immediately before the cue notes, the clef for the cue notes is already
> > shown on the previous line and also as the clef for the whole staff (of
> > course, since that's what we are setting as a workaround...). This is
> > confusing at best, since e.g. the staff for Vc/B would suddently show a
> > treble clef.
>
> i just quickly scanned through my collection of orchestral trombone
> parts from the past 5 years. there seem to be two approaches to
> formatting clefs of cue notes over line breaks:

Thanks for your effort!

> 1.) the clef of the cued instrument is used exclusively at the
> beginning of the lines (i have an example where the clef change is
> _on_ the line break, the change is shown as in your example).

That's what Finale does, so I suppose all publishers using Finale (e.g.
Baerenreiter) use this style...

> 2.) both clefs are shown, the original one before the key signature,
> the cued on after the key signature. (here, i have an example where
> the change is at a line break, the cued clef is shown on the new line
> only, in another part however, it is shown at both the end of the line
> and after the original clef in the new line).

That's the style that I would actually use, too (always showing the "real"
clef at the very beginning of the line and adding a cue clef after the key
signature).

> approach 1 seems to be the far more common, and this is how lilypond
> displays it; in my view, it's also the musically correct approach, as
> the music shown at the beginning of that staff _is_ in the clef
> displayed.

That's why I would show a cue clef...

But then, as apparently most commercial publishers are fine with changing the
clef for the whole staff, I suppose, that's fine then.

Cheers,
Reinhold

- --