Re: GDP: Repeats

From: Ian Hulin
Subject: Re: GDP: Repeats
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 14:45:41 +0000

Palmer, Ralph wrote:

Hi, All -

Im currently working on rewriting Repeats in the Notation Reference, and I dont care for the existing structure. Currently, it looks like this:

1.4 Repeats

      1.4.1 Writing repeats

          1.4.1.1 Repeat syntax

          1.4.1.2 Normal repeats

          1.4.1.3 Manual repeat commands

      1.4.2 Other repeats

          1.4.2.1 Tremolo repeats

          1.4.2.2 Measure repeats

However, since Repeat syntax discusses the common syntax for all the repeats, it would seem to make more sense to take it  out of the section dealing with normal. Id like to suggest:

1.4 Repeats

      1.4.1 Repeat syntax

          1.4.1.1 Repeat syntax and types of repeats

              (introduction of the syntactic construct)

              (following types of repetition are supported . . .)

      1.4.2 Writing repeats

          1.4.2.1 Normal repeats (Id prefer a better term than “normal”)

          1.4.2.2 Manual repeat commands

          1.4.2.3 Tremolo repeats

          1.4.2.4 Measure repeats

It might also make sense to split 1.4.1.1 into 1.4.1.1 Repeat syntax, followed by 1.4.1.2 Types of repeats supported.

Comments, please?

Ralph

http://www.netintelligence.com/email

This looks like it needs an overhaul.  I'd suggest you went for:
  1. Writing Repeats
    1. Types of Repeat Supported
                   (following types of repeat are supported and what they mean, don't describe how this is implemented in the syntax yet)
  1. Section repeats - covering several bars/measures
    ( i.e. ||:   |    |    |    |     |  :||  )
    1. Simple section repeats
    2. Section repeats with varying endings
  2. One-and two bar/measure repeats
    (repeating a single bar/measure)
    (repeating a two-bar phrase)
  3. Single-note repeats/measure
    (tremolos)
  4. Manual repeats to save typing
    (no special notation produced, just the sequence of notes printed however many times)
    1. Syntax of  repeat command
      (structure this like the previous section, but show what you code with \repeat to achieve this, and the output)
      1. Section repeats - covering several bars/measures
        1. Simple section repeats
        2. Section repeats with varying endings
      2. One-and two bar/measure repeats
        (repeating a single bar/measure)
        (repeating a two-bar phrase)
      3. Single-note repeats/measure
        (tremolos)
      4. Manual repeats to save typing
        (no special notation produced, just the sequence of notes printed however many times)
(Please note I couldn't reproduce the structured headings in my mail client, but I meain 1.4 Writing Repeats, 1.4.1 Types of Repeats Supported, 1.4.1.1  Section Repeats etc.)

Cheers,

Ian Hulin