GDP glossary question: complex meters

From: Kurt Kroon
Subject: GDP glossary question: complex meters
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:39:34 -0800

BACKGROUND

We now have a number of different terms to refer to several closely related
concepts:

* polymeter
* polymetric time signature
* double time signature
* compound time signature

(
Elsewhere -- just to add them to the mix -- I've seen:
* mixed meter / mixed time signatures
* additive time signatures
* alternating time signatures
)

Last month, we (meaning "y'all") had a discussion about the "one true
polymeter": Valentin's definition (group A), where different meters are used
_simultaneously_ on different staves; and Ralph's definition (group B), with
regular alternation between different meters.  [I'm not interested in
resolving that discussion, just standardizing the terminology we use.]

LilyPond handles group A quite easily, by simply "moving the
Timing_translator to the Staff context".

Group B, due to its polymorphous nature (and resemblance to Hydra), is
handled unevenly.

* LilyPond deals with mixed meters (where meter alternates without a
specific pattern) pretty well
* Double -- aka "alternating" -- time signatures "are not supported
explicitly, but they can be faked" [NR 1.2.3.4].
* Additive meters are covered in a snippet ... named
compound-time-signatures.ly (that's where I got 'compound time signature)

(I'm not sure if one can extend this last one in LilyPond to more complex
examples, like when the numerator is an additive expression, and the
denominator is a single digit, e.g. (3+2+3)/8.)

SO, MY QUESTION

How can we normalize the terminology?  Here are my thoughts on the matter,
trying to distill this into a controlled lexicon --

* polymeter -- the most generic term
    * sequential polymeter -- Ralph's definition
        * regular
        * irregular
    * simultaneous polymeter -- Valentin's definition
        * regular and irregular (theoretically)

And here's what happens to the list of terms above:

* polymetric time signature
Deleted: although it implies sequential polymeter, it has too many possible
interpretations to be useful.

* double time signature
* compound time signature
* additive time signatures
* alternating time signatures

Become "See also _sequential polymeter, regular_"

* mixed meter / mixed time signatures
Becomes "See also "sequential polymeter, irregular_"

So ... what are your thoughts?

Thanks!
Kurt