Re: strange termination

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: strange termination
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:56:26 +0100

Am Mittwoch, 27. Februar 2008 schrieb hhpmusic:
>   I downloaded the latest version of Lilypond, and the problems I referred
> to are solved. Thank you! But when processing this file, it suddenly
> terminated, but unlike other termination, it left an incomplete -def.ly.
> Why?

Because musicxml2ly couldn't properly handle breve and longa notes
(double-whole and quadruple-whole notes)... I've now fixed this in git, so it
should be in one of the next 2.11.x releases.

Apparently you are really pushing musicxml2ly to its limit in so many aspects!
Thanks a lot for this, without you I would have never encountered a lot of
the problems that you detect.

BTW, the problem with the "infinite loop" is that by default lilypond uses the
minidom XML parser, which is apparently not very efficient for really large
files (like yours) and can't handle them properly. There is the --lxml option
to musicxml2ly, which causes musicxml2ly to use the lxml.etree XML parser
instead, which is much more memory-efficient and is able to handle your file,
but which is unfortunately not distributed with python but available as a
third-party add-on.
I don't know anything about the advantages of minidom over etree (except that
minidom is included in the python distribution, while lxml.etree is a
separate module and needs to be installed separately), so I can't really
judge wheter it would be better to use lxml by default...

Cheers,
Reinhold