Re: New ancient time signature?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: New ancient time signature?
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:29:25 +0100

If you look at the Appendix "The Feta font" in the manual, you will find
symbols called timesig.mensural68alt and timesig.neomensural68alt that
look like what you describe (if I get you right). I couldn't find any easier
way of using these symbols than
\override Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil = #ly:text-interface::print
\override Staff.TimeSignature #'text = \markup{\musicglyph #"timesig.mensural68alt" }

  /Mats

Laura Conrad wrote:
The documentation for ancient time signatures
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond/Ancient-time-signatures>
(it doesn't seem to have changed noticeably since 2.10, which is what
I'm actually using) has a circle with a dot inside and a left half circle
with a dot inside, but no right half circle with a dot inside.

I'm transcribing something from Morley's "Plaine and Easie..."
(neither plain nor easy from the point of view of a 21st century
musician) which uses the right half circle with a dot.  The modern
transcription I have access to seems to believe he meant a 12/4 time
signature when he wrote that.

Would it be easy to add this symbol?  If it's easy but not trivial,
would the person for whom it's easy like to point me to a starting
place so I could take a crack at it?

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        School of Electrical Engineering