Re: BarNumber 'break-visibility

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: BarNumber 'break-visibility
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 23:39:41 +0100

Am Mittwoch, 12. März 2008 schrieben Sie:
> Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> >Am Mittwoch, 12. März 2008 schrieb Andrew Black - lists:
> >>I am a little confused by the following :
> >>
> >>          \override Score.BarNumber #'break-visibility = ##(#f #t #t)
> >>          \override Score.BarNumber #'break-visibility
> >>            = #end-of-line-invisible
> >>
> >>  - what is the default for before you tweak
> >>  - by setting end-of-line-invisible do  I set the other places _visible_
> >
> >If you search the lilypond directory for end-of-line-invisible, you'll get
> >scm/output-lib.scm as a hit, and in there you'll find the definition:
>
> Why not use the official documentation?
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond-internals/item_00
>2dinterface#item_002dinterface

Because a

grep -e end-of-line-invisible -r l* scm/
kwrite ... &
Ctrl+F, typing "end-of-line-invisible" and pressing Return

is much faster than opening lilypond.org, then "Documentation",
then "2.11...", then "IR", and then the whole fun really starts. I have never
been able to find anything quickly in the IR (unless I'm opening the long
single-page version and do a text search). The split into the various
top-level sections (Music defs, translation, backend, scheme) is still not
clear to me. In particular, "backend" for me always implies the real
low-level stuff, so I would look for the Score context in the "backend"...

Furthermore, even if you find the page for "BarNumber", that's a dead end,
because there it only says:
"break-visibility (vector):
A vector of 3 booleans, #(end-of-line unbroken begin-of-line). #t means
visible, #f means killed. "

I would definitely not look into item-interface (because that would be sheer
luck to find an interface among the seven listed where a property is
described again in greater detail.

Cheers,
Reinhold

- --