Re: GDP: Opinions sought on markup command snippets

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: GDP: Opinions sought on markup command snippets
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 17:42:45 -0500

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Neil Puttock <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi everybody,

I'm just about to start work on creating snippets for each of the
\markup commands listed in appendix B.6.

Excellent! Embedded examples will be *extremely* useful ...

Before I begin, I'd like to
canvass opinion on how they should be demonstrated.

As I see it, there are two options:

1. Continue in the same vein as the two existing examples (\raise and
\super), where each command is part of a markup in a score;

2. Show each command in isolation, i.e., within a bald \markup block,
displaying text marks only.

Naturally, the latter option would be much quicker to implement, but
is a more artificial way of demonstrating text markup since most users
will be incorporating text into scores. It is also likely to look less
pleasing than minimal score snippets, since they would serve as a
regular break between the commands.

I welcome your thoughts as to the best way forward.

My first thought was "stuff is, in general, almost always better with an actual score example." But, clicking back through B.6 and rereading, I think exactly the opposite conclusion is warranted here. I think the examples-in-isolation approach (#2) will do perfectly. It seems that getting LilyPond markup down has been, for me, a lot like getting LaTeX markup down -- learn to visualize the *boxes* and slots that stuff fills. I haven't really needed markup to attach to a staff to learn that lesson ... it's been enough to work with examples in otherwise empty scores.

So I would vote for #2 as being the best option and likely to give the cleanest look to B.6; it's gravy that #2 also happens to be quicker to author!

Trevor.

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden