English Translation

From: David Stocker
Subject: English Translation
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 12:12:45 -0400

Hi Bert,

It's been a few years and I'm afraid my German has gotten rusty, but I'll give it a try anyway.

"- how would you call the 4-voice arrangements of hymns used in presbiterian liturgy. Just "hymn arrangement"? (Choralsatz in German)"

The common English rendering is simply "Chorale" or "Hymn" In the contemporary American print market, we often refer to these by an acronym representing the parts they contain--SATB (for Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bass.) Within the catalog, there are many instances of "ATB" and "SA" or other combinations.

"- what is a good way for translating the German "inständiges flehen", meaning something like pleading, devoted praying"

earnestly, earnest pleading,

"- what is a good way of translating the German "ewig reicher Gott", meaning something like God, who has power forever. (perhaps a common English version already exists for this song)"

God everlasting, God ever powerful

I hope this at least points in the right direction.

auf Wiedersehen

Dave