Re: Roman numeral analysis

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Roman numeral analysis
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:44:12 +0000 (UTC)

Jesse Engle <engle.jesse <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I hoped there might be a seperate context for roman numerals similar
> to the ChordNames context, in which you would specify the roman
> numeral and its inversion (and any alterations using figured bass),
> along with a duration. Depending on the duration of the chord in
> question, the context would automatically create a prolongational line
> up to the next chord.
>
> This is just some stuff off the top of my head. I know that figured
> bass can already be displayed, but maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to
> have a seperate "FunctionalAnalysis" context that encompasses all that
> I just talked about, including figured bass...
>
> At any rate, what are my options?
>
> Thanks!

Here are a couple of options I can think of.

1. You could use a FiguredBass context, with roman numeral markups
instead of numbers.  This is very easy, and would survive
transposition.

2. You could define your own chord names, as Kieren defines later.
This would require some Scheme hacking, but there is probably a lot
of existing structure to support it.

3. You could put the roman numerals as markups on the notes.  This is not
elegant, but is easy and survives transposition.

There are probably other things you could do, but I can't think of them
right now.

Carl