Re: substitution with \movement

From: Arjan Bos
Subject: Re: substitution with \movement
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 08:48:12 +0200

On 11 jun 2008, at 23:48, Graham Percival wrote:

Rewriting the parser for such a trivial thing would be a waste of
resources.  Just get used to typing #, just like {} or ,' or any
other piece of lilypond input.  The docs are supposed to use #""
all the time, to reinforce this point.

If it were only for `#' denoted strings, I agree with you, but there are plenty of other inconsistencies in the LilyPond syntax that are fully understandable from the viewpoint of the program, but make almost no sense from the user's. For example, I do understand the differences between \set \override and \tweak and when to apply them. The differences have to do with the type of objects you're dealing with. But I don't know those by heart. I have to look up which one it is everytime I need an \override or \set or \tweak. When rewriting the parser / lexer to do more work for us, it would be nice to see these three commands unified into one and have LilyPond figure out which one to apply. And I'm sure others have similar examples.

And, to make it clear, I'm font of the scheme expandability of LilyPonds syntax, it's just that maintaining a source-file with lot's of strings in them can be very awkward.

But to reiterate, this might be a lot of work. So this would be something to think about for the next year or so and only then perhaps implement.

Groeten,
Arjan