Re: Re:F7 chord appearing as E#7 when I transpose (Paul Scott)

From: Tao Cumplido
Subject: Re: Re:F7 chord appearing as E#7 when I transpose (Paul Scott)
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 13:06:44 +0200

I can not help you with your special problem since I use my own font for chords
and let them display as lyrics, but this way I get every chord displayed
exactly as I want and writing out tranposed parts instead of using a special
function doesn't take that much extra time.

Another point is that there's no standard jazz chord notation (that's why I
actually use my own font) and while I agree that printing E# or Fb chords is
bad to sightread I don't think every Cb chord should be notated as B.
In my opinion a ii V I needs always to be correctly notated and if you
transpose Dm7 G7 CMaj down a halfstep you'd get Dbm7 Gb7 BMaj which in theory
wouldn't be a ii V I anymore and leads to confusion while sightreading.

I just reread your first post and I noticed that sou said you have the chords
fis2:m7     b2:7     |       e2:maj7     cis2:m7  |
in the key of C and you tried to transpose them half a step down.
These chords are actually in the key of E and if you tranposed them from E to
Eb you'd probably get what you want.

regards,

Tao

-------- Original-Nachricht --------