Re: strange error causes Lilypond refuse to compile

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: strange error causes Lilypond refuse to compile
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 01:18:45 -0700

(for your other email)
I would attempt to isolate and fix these problems before playing
with virtual memory.

I must admit that the error message looks like a problem with
memory allocation, but I think the solution to this lies in either
your tweaks, or in a bug with 2.11.49.  Unfortunately, tracking
down the cause will likely not be easy.

I took a quick look at your files, and I couldn't see anything
obviously wrong -- you've done a good job of separating your
tweaks from your music definition.  I can think of a few
possibilities:
- lilypond has trouble with your tweaks (I'm testing
  MarkLine right now, but commenting that out doesn't stop the
  problems)
- lilypond has trouble dealing with large paper sizes.  (nope, not
  this; commenting out the paper line doesn't fix it)
- maybe it's the number of StaffGroup nestings?  What happens if
  you comment out a bunch of lines in your -score file and have
everything inside a single GrandStaff or StaffGroup?
- maybe one or your tweaks happens to require a lot of CPU power
  to calculate?  What if you remove all your tweaks?  (ie in your
defs, change all the definitions to be
  blah = {
%
%
%
}

- if you try compiling your score with certain instruments removed
  (ie comment out all the winds, then percussion, then strings,
etc), does the problem go away?

Sorry I can't help more; I've tried a few things without any
change, but I can't spend more time on it.
- Graham