RE: Starting a repeat at the beginning, II

From: Palmer, Ralph
Subject: RE: Starting a repeat at the beginning, II
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:36:53 -0400

Thanks for your reply, Neil.

#'break-align-orders
> > structure. This works with
> > \bar "|:"
> > but does not work with
> > \set Score.repeatCommands = #'( start-repeat )
> >
> > Is that the expected behavior? The Score.repeatCommands version does
not
> > produce an error in the log, but no repeat sign is printed. If this
is
> > the expected behavior, I don't understand why Score.repeatCommands
does
> > not work. Should this be included in the GDP Repeats as a Known
Issue?

> I'm sorry that my post in your original thread seems to have caused
> some confusion; I'll try to clarify here as best I can:
>
> - repeat signs at the start of a piece can only be typeset using \bar;
> as far as I'm aware, there's no override which will force visibility
> using repeatCommands or \repeat volta, since this behaviour is
> hard-coded.

Okay, I get that. That's why Score.repeatCommands doesn't work.

> - overriding 'break-align-orders is not necessary for \bar to work; it
> just allows the tuning of the repeat position.

This, however, doesn't seem to be true. I cannot get \bar "|:" to print
without either using Score.BreakAlignment or else using a skip before
the \bar "|:" (to "attach" the \bar "|:" to, if I had to guess), and
using the skip moves the repeat sign even further than
Score.BreakAlignment does, if in the opposite direction.

> I'd suggest that you remove the 'break-align-orders override from the
> \bar "|:" example; it just increases the complexity of the snippet and
> also results in the repeat sign being too close to the time signature,
> which would require another override to fix.
>
> Regards,
> Neil

Peace,
Ralph