Re: Towards something like a "helper" to write in Lilypond

From: Wilbert Berendsen
Subject: Re: Towards something like a "helper" to write in Lilypond
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 15:22:33 +0200

Op zaterdag 28 juni 2008, schreef fsarud:
> Some improvements I foresee are:
>
> - some capability to clicking somewhere on the image and the cursor going
> to the selected place (some like the PDF referenced files that Lilypond
> already does)

With LilyKDE[1] (a Kate plugin for authoring LilyPond scores) a PDF preview is
embedded, with clickable notes that place the cursor on the right spot. But
LilyKDE always compiles the whole .ly file. I just put compiling snippets on
the TODO-list :-) You can however split large projects in multiple files and
arrange for LilyKDE to only compile the file your are editing, instead of the
master .ly document that includes the other files.

> - some capability to play MIDI output around the place selected

this is also on the TODO list for LilyKDE :)

> - even, some capability to input notes through a MIDI keyboard, converting
> MIDI events in text output

LilyKDE can do this, using Rumor[2], a commandline program that listens to a
MIDI input (or your computer keyboard) and outputs LilyPond code, which is
inserted into the editor. Rumor however, runs only on Linux.

I believe there also are MIDI and Rumor plugins for Emacs[3]

[1] http://lilykde.googlecode.com/
[2] http://www.volny.cz/smilauer/rumor/
[3] http://nicolas.sceaux.free.fr/lilypond/lyqi.html
http://utopia.knoware.nl/~hlub/rlwrap/ (scroll to bottom)