Re: best practices

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: best practices
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 19:08:06 -0400

Graham,

We *have* a set of "best practices".
They're LM 5 Working on LilyPond projects.

Unless I'm missing something, there is no "best practice" on how to (e.g.) efficiently handle instrument switching. There are, of course, several references to the concept widely scattered throughout the documentation, and a few tips/snippets here and there on *some* of the techniques required (e.g., \transpose).

But what I'm talking about is a REAL-WORLD, BEST-PRACTICE example/ tutorial -- can you point me to that part of the documentation, please?

I wrote them two years ago, and AFAIK nobody has ever read them.

Actually, I read them several times several years ago -- when I was engraving "Drunken Moon" -- and have referred to them several times since. For a simple score (which has no key changes and no instrument switches), I suppose the section is sufficient.

Sadly, it doesn't solve the myriad other issues that actually arise when writing/coding real multi-instrumentalist music, so it's not as helpful as it should be.

We welcome more suggestions for this section, of course.

Okay: I suggest you include a section which shows how to code a score consisting of multiple key signature changes, with multiple instrumentalists each of whom switch between two (or more) instruments of different transpositions, and demonstrate how both transposed and non-transposed full scores and parts can be compiled with a minimum of effort and extraneous code, while still conforming to the "best practices" laid out in other sections of the documentation (e.g., use of \global variables, etc.)

For the record, I don't think it would be very useful just to put non- peer-reviewed ideas up there, and hope not to lead Lilypond coders astray -- once we, as a community/list, have actually settled on some (truly) best practices, I'll be happy to write them up and submit them for the docs.

Cheers,
Kieren.