Re: sustainOn

From: Mark Knoop
Subject: Re: sustainOn
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 16:49:08 +0100

On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 16:55 +0200, James E. Bailey wrote:
> See, this is why I should subscribe to the development list…
> While changing sustainDown/sustainUp to sustainOn/sustainOff makes
> sense in the lilypond internals, it really doesn't make sense
> musically. No one is going to confuse placing a sustain marking above
> the staff. They don't go there, they never go there, that makes about
> as much sense as putting guitar fretting or tablature below the staff,
> they don't go there, it would be confusing to have the option.
> sustainDown was one of the things that makes lilypond so normal. You
> play a piano, you push down on the pedal, and it sustains. In computer
> terms, something is switched on, but computer language doesn't have to
> mimic what the computer does. Lilypond syntax is really logical, this
> is a step in the illogical direction, if you ask me. It's up there
> with changing figured bass so that it's input backwards from how
> anyone conceptualises the musical term.
>
> I vote, as a pianist, for sustainDown/sustainUp. Who's with me?

I, too, am a pianist, but I have no problem with the change. Firstly,
sustain markings _are_ sometimes put in different places (Beethoven
always wrote pedal markings between the staves); secondly, on and off
are not exactly difficult to understand.

And thirdly, they're only predefined commands - use your own if you're
really confused by them.

--
Mark Knoop