Changing notes based on fingerings

From: Eric Knapp
Subject: Changing notes based on fingerings
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:13:21 -0500

The next issue in trying to extend Lilypond for my instrument is that
I want to change things in the Note based on the text in the
Fingering. Here's an example, this displayMusic call results in the
make-music call that is after it. I have code working that gives me
the "2" from the FingeringEvent that I got from the very helpful Neil
Puttock. Now I need to be able to retrieve the NoteEvent that is in
the same list.

\displayMusic {a''2-2}

(make-music
  'SequentialMusic
  'elements
  (list (make-music
          'EventChord
          'elements
          (list (make-music
                  'NoteEvent  <------ I want to make changes here.
                  'duration
                  (ly:make-duration 1 0 1 1)
                  'pitch
                  (ly:make-pitch 1 5 0))
                (make-music
                  'FingeringEvent
                  'digit
                  2)))))    <----  Based on this.

If I'm in a function that was delivered a Fingering grob, can I
navigate up to the containing list and then up to the SequentialMusic
object? Or is this not the direction that will give me a solution? The
other idea I have about this is to override the creation of all music
notes and if there is a Fingering object then rewrite the entire
make-music call. I don't know how to do that, either.

Thanks,

-Eric