emacs questions

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: emacs questions
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 20:14:48 +0200

I'm wondering if anyone here uses emacs on macintosh and how they go about it. I have currently installed the default OSX cli emacs, version 22.11, Emacs.app (version 23.0.0) and Aquamacs Emacs.app (version 22.2.50.2) each gets some things well, and others not so well. First, I have edited my aquamacs-mode-defaults.el and ~/.emacs so that they have lilypond-mode installed. And I've edited lilypond mode so that it correctly opens pdf and midi files. That's the best I've gotten so far. With aquamacs, I can see the shortcuts to let me know that C-c C-l compiles, I have no idea where to find that information in the cli version or Emacs.app. Is there documentation somewhere on where I can those options in the other Emacs? Ideally, I'd like to be able to just use the command line version (since I'm coming from nano, and it could just be another screen in my screen session)
Aquamacs Emacs and the cli emacs can both compile lilypond files.
Emacs.app doesn't seem to load my $PATH correctly, because I get /bin/ bash: lilypond: command not found
All flavors can open the pdfs and midi files.
I haven't gotten around to trying to figure out folding yet.

Also, and this is probably just an emacs question, but, if there's an error in my file, and I use the compilation window to fix it, it's in a new temp file, and those changes are saved, but they aren't in my main file, and I haven't gotten far along enough in the tutorial to know how to make those changes show up in my main file, any quick place I can look for that, 'cause that's kinda annoying.

In short, I guess I'm just wondering where the lilypond emacs tutorial for someone who's new to emacs is. I'm totally new to this, I'm not really convinced it's better than nano, and I'm taking some time to try and get better with these things since it's summer break, so I thought I'd ask.