Expert question on named contexts

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Expert question on named contexts
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 14:11:36 +0200

Since I have only used LilyPond for 11 years, I have some remaining questions on how it works. Can anybody tell me exactly what happens with the context names in the following example.

\relative c' <<
\new Staff \new Voice = myvoice { c d e f }
\new Staff \context Voice = myvoice { g f e d }

Clearly, I get two Voice contexts, even though they are given the same name. It's also clear that the input is ambigous, since it both states that the two voices should be treated as a single Voice context, but also that they should be part of separate Staff contexts (which means that they cannot be the same Voice context).
Apparently, LilyPond lets the latter requirement override the former one.
However, what happens to the context names? Is the Voice context in the lower
stave given some random unknown name or do both have the same name but are
kept separate because of the context hierarchy. In the latter case, is it even possible to refer to the Voice context of the lower stave using the name "myvoice", under
some circumstance?

  /Mats

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing