Re: timing, lyrics, chords, melody

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: timing, lyrics, chords, melody
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 10:30:16 +0200

Morten Lemvigh wrote:

Try to have a look at the documentation concerning lyrics and vocal music:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond/Vocal-music
I would rather recommend to read in the Learning Manual for the latest development version of LilyPond. Almost all the information you can find there is applicable also to version 2.10 and the text has been significantly revised and improved. In particular, take a look at http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/Songs#Songs

The Lyrics should be associated with a "Voice":

\new Staff {
  \new Voice = "melodyVoice" {\melody}
}

\new Lyrics \lyricsto "melodyVoice"  \text
In this particular example, using \addlyrics is an even simpler option (see "Setting simple songs" in the Learning Manual), but otherwise I agree that it's a good idea to learn about \lyricsto as soon as possible since you will need it sooner or later anyway.

    /Mats