Re: \textLengthOn - choosing which note to lengthen

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: \textLengthOn - choosing which note to lengthen
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:38:33 -0700

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 19:42:37 +0000 (UTC)
Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:

> Chris Snyder <csnyder <at> adoromusicpub.com> writes:
>
> > It seems to me that the documentation (which has been tremendously
> > improved over the last year - thanks Graham et al) could be a bit
> > clearer on this. Perhaps including a blurb like the following:
> >
> > "Note that \textLengthOn does not necessarily increase the spacing
> > of the note that the text is attached to. Rather, the shortest
> > moment in time when the text occurs will get the added space. For
> > instance, in 4/4 time if text is added to a whole-note while
> > another staff contains quarter-notes, the space will be added
> > between the first and second quarter-notes of the measure."
> >

> If you'd like to propose additions to the docs, we'd appreciate it if
> you'd tell us where the addition should go.

I'm sure this is in NR 1.8 Text.  That's officially Valentin's
exclusive providence for the next 6 days.  :)
(well, his and mine -- I always reserve the right to do anything
to stuff that GDP people are working on)

> Also, in a case like this, a simple example that shows the behavior
> being described can help understand possibly-confusing wording.
> If you could work up a simple example (one bar long) that
> demonstrates the point you're trying to make, I'll add it to the
> documentation.

Enthusiastically seconded -- text is easy to misunderstand,
especially for non-native speakers.  A single bar example can
clear up so many questions.

Cheers,
- Graham