Re: Does Forbid_line_break_engraver still work?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Does Forbid_line_break_engraver still work?
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 13:11:35 +0200

It seems that things have changed in the 2.11.x releases. It used to be that the line breaking was determined "before" the note splitting, or at least that the line breaking algorithm didn't consider the split note as two separate notes. So, if you try your example with version 2.10.33, you will see what you expected to see. However, when I try the latest version from the GIT repository, then you will indeed get a line break even if the Forbid_line_break_engraver is active (which it is by default). You can easily verify that
the Forbid_line_break_engraver still works by commenting out the two lines
\remove "Note_heads_engraver"
\consists "Completion_heads_engraver"

This means that you can remove the corresponding passage from the docs.

  /Mats

Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
I'm trying to make a clear example for the GDP docs.

According to my understanding, Forbid_line_break engraver should eliminate
line breaks at measures where there is a tie generated by the
Completion_heads_engraver.

In the code below, I can't change where the line break is by including or
removing the Forbid_line_break_engraver.  I've tried changing the line-width
and the presence or absence of the Forbid_line_break_engraver.  As far as I
can see, there is no special requirement to avoid breaking on the tied
measure; it's just a standard bar line.

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?  Or is this just a bug?

Thanks,

Carl

\paper{
  ragged-right=##f
  line-width=10\cm
  indent=0\cm
}

\new Voice \with {
\remove "Note_heads_engraver"
\consists "Completion_heads_engraver"
\consists "Forbid_line_break_engraver"
%\remove "Forbid_line_break_engraver"
}
\relative c'
%  { c2. c8 d4 e f g8 a4 b c8 c2 b4 a g16 f4 e d c8. c2 d8}
{ c4 c c c
d d d d
e e e e2
f4 f f