Re: Proposed syntax change: renaming of \center-align markup command

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: Proposed syntax change: renaming of \center-align markup command
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 19:18:24 +0200

Am 17.08.2008 um 14:21 schrieb Mats Bengtsson:

Trevor Daniels wrote:

As for \hcenter and \column, should I leave these as duplicates of
\center-align and \left-column (which would help minimize user
complaints), or remove them?

I just realized that \column and \left-column isn't the same thing
(or at least that it shouldn't be the same thing). If you compare the
implementation of the current \column and \center-align commands,
you will notice that \column just stacks the markups using their
already existing horizontal alignment points, whereas \center-align
also sets the horizontal alignment point of each markup in the column.
In other words, \center-align is equivalent to \column \hcenter, as
the following example illustrates:
\version "2.11.50"
\markup{\column{ \left-align { AAAAA BBB C }}}
\markup{\column { AAAAA BBB C }}
\markup{\column{ \hcenter { \right-align AAAAA BBB C }}}
\markup{\center-align { \right-align AAAAA BBB C }}

Similarly, a \left-column that does what the name says, should
explicitly set the horizontal alignment point of all the markups
to be left aligned, i.e. be equivalent to \column \left-align.
The following example illustrates the difference:
\version "2.11.50"
\markup{\column { \right-align AAAAA BBB C }}
% What a proper implementation of \left-column should do:
\markup{\column{ \left-align { \right-align AAAAA BBB C }}}

 /Mats

Yeah, the current documentation, with the arrows, is very misleading. I actually took the time to re-write those snippets. (I have zero idea how this could be integrated into future documentation), but they are attached. Basically, i just took the commands as they are, and demonstrated them with the text "one" "two" and "three" instead of the arrows, which imply that the center of the arrow is where we should look, but the arrows themselves have a left, center and right which are also used for alignment.