Re: \shiftOn doesen't behave as expected

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: \shiftOn doesen't behave as expected
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 03:34:17 +0000 (UTC)

notesetter <dstocker <at> thenotesetter.com> writes:

> I'm typing some guitar music with version 2.10.33 to teach myself how to use
> LilyPond. I'm using the command \shiftOn to move inner voices so that they
> are clear and not colliding with other voices. I'm also typing the upper
> voice and lower voice separately, in hopes to avoid extra typing and overly
> complex use of syntax.

Dave,

What you may not realize is that your syntax is mixing user-controlled
shifting with LilyPond controlled shifting.

Whenever you type << { ... } \\ { ...} >> you are automatically creating new
temporary voices with shift characteristics determined by LilyPond.

I suspect that you would get what you want if you changed your strategy
a bit.  Instead of defining a soprano part with << \\ >> in it, I'd
recommend you define

sopOne

sopTwo

bassOne

bassTwo

Each of which has only one "row" of notes.

You can then put your piece together with

<< SopOne \\ SopTwo \\ bassOne \\ bassTwo >>

and LilyPond will set the voices so they should work for you.

Another option is to read the new discussion on polypohony from the
GDP docs:

http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/index.html

Go to the Notation Reference, and look up section 1.5.2.

Hope this helps,

Carl