Re: Template: String Quartet (score-only), first draft

From: Patrick Horgan
Subject: Re: Template: String Quartet (score-only), first draft
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 14:32:05 -0700

Kieren MacMillan wrote:
One thing I'd look into is whether or not the repeated

\context {
    \Score
    tempoWholesPerMinute = #(ly:make-moment 110 4)
}

can be centralized, either through a variable, or via a global command (e.g., at the top of the file).
Thanks! I had that because all the examples of midi have it. After your suggestion and much RTFM, I found that if I threw it out, and instead in my global section at the top I added \tempo 4 = 110 (like this:)

global =  {
       \key f \minor
       \tempo 4 = 110
       \time 4/4
       \skip 1*39  \bar "||"
       \skip 1*13  \bar "||" \time 3/4
       \skip 2.*14 \bar "||" \time 4/4
       \skip 1*8   \bar "|."
}

Not only would it do the same thing, but in addition, I would get tempo markings as well! I never would have thought to look at this without your suggestion, thanks:) Now all my midi sections are just:

\midi { }

and, if I want to hear it at a different tempo, I just have one place to change it and all the midi parts change tempo:) Yea!

Ta,

Patrick