Re: ver. 2.11.56 problems

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: ver. 2.11.56 problems
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 10:43:50 +0200

Sure, if you're up on your
Linux, no problem, but the Linux world is drawing a number of people
who come from other backgrounds (i.e., Windows), AND don't have a lot
of time to study up.

Knowing that you run a program by doing
 cd progdir
 ./progname
or adding it to your PATH environment variable isn't a great deal
of knowledge.

- Graham

But if your only previous experience running software is double- clicking, it's pretty daunting. And most software that requires that knowledge is written by people who already know it. I'll say it, lilypond was the first thing I ran on a command line. And it took me about two weeks (maybe longer) following the directions in the lilypond tutorial on how to do it.

For example, if it's the first time you've seen it, path/to/ Lilypond.app can be confusing. Most macintosh applications don't show the suffix, so I had to figure out that the "LilyPond" program in my applications folder was actually "LilyPond.app". Secondly, I had to figure out that path/to/ is the actual path to LilyPond, not something else.