Questions relating to hymnals

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Questions relating to hymnals
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 22:58:57 -0400

I'm working on a hymnal, and I have some questions about some things I need to do for it, layout-wise.

1) How can I number the hymns (i.e., number each score). I can't use strict page numbering, since multiple hymns may be on a single page (and there are multi-page hymns). I also want the system to number the scores dynamically, so that I can re-arrange the hymns to allow for spacing and other considerations.

2) If I have verses with different rhythms (e.g., one verse has only one syllable at a quarter note, but another verse has two syllables in the same time period) and the rhythm of the verse with more syllables is indicated using tied notes (so that the rhythm of the other verse is preserved musically), how would I go about inputing the lyrics so that the verse with more syllables had its syllables in the right positions?

I probably have others, but these are the most pressing ones I can think of. Thanks for any help.

Carl Peterson