Re: Adding an extra staff

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Adding an extra staff
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 21:12:52 +0100

Alistair

The problem with your code is the notes entered between <<...>>. That construct means "execute simultaneously", so LilyPond tries to execute all those notes at the same time, hence the bunching together. To fix it, place those notes in braces, which mean "execute sequentially". So, instead of

<< aes8 ges aes ges aes ges aes ges \new Staff { \once \override
Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil = ##f a8 g a g a g a g }  >>

write

<< { aes8 ges aes ges aes ges aes ges } \new Staff { \once \override
Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil = ##f a8 g a g a g a g }  >>

I would also recommend indenting your code whenever you open a new set of brackets, and start each command and bar on a new line, something like this:

<<
 {
   aes8 ges aes ges |
   aes ges aes ges |
 }
 \new Staff
 {
   \once \override Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil = ##f
   a8 g a g |
   a g a g |
 }

You'll then find it much easier to locate bugs.

Trevor

----- Original Message ----- From: "alistair zaldua" <address@hidden>