Re: Does lilypond takes advantage of multi-cores on windows?

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: Does lilypond takes advantage of multi-cores on windows?
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 21:56:11 +0100

In message <address@hidden>, Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 08:46:06 -0700 (PDT)
sdfgsdhdshd <address@hidden> wrote:

I'm about to buy a new PC with Windows Vista (shame on me), which
will mainly be used to compile lilypond files, all day long.
    Will a duo-core or better quad-core accelerate the compilations,
all others characteristics being the same, including processor speed?

No, lilypond will only use one core.  That said, you would be able
to compile multiple scores at once.

No, it WILL accelerate compilations (but probably not by much).

Just as lily will only use one core, so will Windows. It's a pain in the proverbial when Windows decides to do something and leaves the user whistling waiting for their job - with a dual-core the system will be a lot more responsive (ie it'll feel faster) and, with Windows unable to hog the entire system, it WILL be a bit faster.

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden