Measurement units for Stem Length (and in general)

From: Jonathan Wilkes
Subject: Measurement units for Stem Length (and in general)
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 19:50:54 -0700 (PDT)

I've started doing some simple exercises to acquaint myself with the Lilypond
syntax.  In the following snippet I try to change the second notehead to an x
and make the stem connect properly:

\version "2.11.61"

\relative c' {
    \time 4/4
    \once \override  NoteHead #'stencil = #ly:text-interface::print
    \once \override  Stem #'Y-offset = #0.15
    \once \override  Stem #'length = #6.85
    \once \override  NoteHead #'text = #(markup #:musicglyph
"noteheads.s2cross")
    d e f |
}

     I'm confused why the stem length shouldn't normally be 3 for a stem that
spans three spaces.  In the Internals Reference for stem, the unit for the
setting "length" is given as "dimension, in staff space."  How is that
different than a number?
     Is there a reference table somewhere that lists the units of measurement
used by Lilypond?

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan