Re: Piano staff, single staff polyphony and lyrics

From: Ari Torhamo
Subject: Re: Piano staff, single staff polyphony and lyrics
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 04:37:52 +0300

ma, 2008-10-06 kello 23:51 -0700, James E. Bailey kirjoitti:

> I'm guessing you're talking about D.2.3, Piano Centered Lyrics. What
> have you tried? If you take away everything but the \new statements,
> and just look at the \score block, what you'll see is
> \new Staff
> \new Lyrics
> \new Staff

Here's the closest I have got:

\paper { indent=0\cm }

\header { title = "Bla" }

sopraano = \relative c'' {
\key g \major
\cadenzaOn
g4( a b) b a2 gis
\bar "|"
a4 b c b a gis a1
\bar "|" \break
b2 a a a4( gis) a b c2( b) a2. b4\rest
\bar "|" \break
}

altto = \relative c' {
%\once \override Slur #'positions = #'(-1.5 . -2.5)
d2( g4) g e2 e
e4 g g g e e e1
e2 e e e e4 g g1 e2.
}

tenori = \relative c' {
\clef bass
\key g \major
b4( c d) d c2 b
c4 d e d c b c1
d2 c c c4( b) c d e2( d) c2.
}

basso = \relative c' {
g2. g4 a2 e
a4 g c, g' a e <a a,>1
}

sanat = \lyricmode {
Bla- bla- bla
}

\score {
   \new PianoStaff <<
      \new Staff <<
         { \sopraano } \\
         { \altto }

      \new Lyrics { \sanat }

      \new Staff <<
         { \tenori } \\
         { \basso }

This gets the lyrics between the systems, not between the staves, where
they should go. I have probably tried every other possible position for

"\new Lyrics { \sanat }"

I have also tried to add "\lyricsto" in different places on the string
above (docs suggest to use it), but then the file won't even render. Can
you see what I'm doing wrong?

I wouldn't want to abandon this basic score structure, unless it can't
be used with this kind of lyrics setting, because I put a lot of effort
into learning it. I took a look at the example file you linked in your
reply, and it does what I want to achieve - many thanks. The problem is
that I don't understand the structure used there, and I can't find it
properly explained in the documentation either. I need to understand
what I'm doing, not only because it makes things much easier for myself,
but because I should be able to teach these things to another person
soon. I can'ẗ do that, if I don't understand what I'm doing.

Thanks very much for your help :-)

Ari