Re: Headword for unfretted-strings

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Headword for unfretted-strings
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 09:18:51 +0100

David

Your extract is now visible on the kainhofer site. Unfortunately it takes up too much space, with the result that the small amount of following text is pushed off the bottom of the first screen. I would prefer to reduce it to the first two lines, after the end of the first two triplets. These two lines already show
pretty well all the notational elements contained in the remainder anyway,
but I appreciate we lose a lot of the musicality, which is a pity. I'll make this
change, again so we can see the result, but please let me know if you are
unhappy with this.

You wrote Thursday, October 09, 2008 5:38 PM

I guess you would like to show how to ask lilypond to produce midi output, but if you are interested, I have a live recording by Krzysztof Wagenaar [who created the
piece, July the 30th, 2007 in Mirecourt, France].

On this recording:

- the all piece last  8'30" [including 30sec rapid ultimate tuning and
getting the audience 'quiet and ready', until the end with a very impressive silent
moment at the end [I was there :-), until applause];
- the first 'measure' last 20";
- the extract you have last 1'45"

I can produce wav, ogg and/or mp3 files for the 1st 'measure', the extract I sent you and/or the entire piece [and post it somewhere on the web], let me know.

I'm not sure the docs can or should link to 'real' music, but it is an interesting
idea.  What do you think Graham?

From the type setting point of view, I wanted to add a thin line and tiny text above the 1st 'measure' saying 'approximately 20", but I couldn't find out how to do so in a nice way [done by lilypond, well automatically positioned and dimensioned, so that it would also follow future custom adaptation of measure graphical length ...]. If
someone can help me, many thanks.

A text spanner maybe?  But there's not much room for more annotation.
If the extract is to be shortened maybe this isn't relevant now.

In the header, in the meter section [lentement], I also wanted to add '[approximately 8 minutes] but had other [and still have] difficulties to solve before latest tuning
of these type setting little details.

I'll add this, again so we can see how it looks.

David
Trevor