Re: Headword for unfretted-strings

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Headword for unfretted-strings
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 23:17:36 +0100

Graham, you wrote Monday, October 13, 2008 7:35 PM

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 08:33:37 +0100
"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

Graham, you wrote Saturday, October 11, 2008 12:41 AM

> Not the MIDI version of string sounds, you don't.  :)

Strings are so expressive they can never be properly
synthesized.  I grant you that.

To be fair, I'd assume that this applies even more to vocal music
-- quite apart from the expressivity of voice, midi doesn't even
attempt to add lyrics.

As Mats said, Lily does output lyrics to MIDI,
which reminded me that needs to be added to NR 3.5.

> Seriously, there's no reason to build the .midi files in
> Documentation/user/out-www/.  I can appreciate that you wanted to

I wasn't thinking of people who build the docs; rather
people who read them.

Erm.  How many people actually click on the graphics?  And how
many people actually click on the graphics, copy&paste the
*correct* material (ie not the entire .ly file!), and generate the
output themselves.

I think we're down to count-on-one-hand territory here... and
those people surely must have read LM 3 already and therefore know
how to add the \midi{} block themselves.

I would agree, if that's all there was to it.
But the midiInstruments need to be added, and
the appropriate tempo.
But I'm not going to die in the ditch defending this

Well, neither am I.  :)   If you want to add \midi{} to all
headwords, go ahead.  I'm firmly of the opinion that this will be
useful to at most three people in the world... but then again,
we've spent longer discussing this change than it would take to
make it in the first place, so I can't really play the
"efficiency" card here.

There -are- more urgent things to do, so I'll
leave this as one more TODO when everything
else has settled out.
Cheers,
- Graham

Trevor