Re: Why do so many newcomers post to bug-lilypond?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Why do so many newcomers post to bug-lilypond?
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 05:40:07 -0800

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 02:17:08PM +0100, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> 2008/11/4 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
>
> > To save us all from that, it would be great if there was some
> > enthusiastic person who liked to read half a dozen mailists, who
> > could write weekly or biweekly summaries of anything interesting
> > that happened on those mailists.  That way we'd all know if we
> > missed anything good.  These messages -- we could even go so far
> > as to call them "reports" -- could also keep the less-active
> > members of the community informed.  Of course, if these stop
> > coming after a few months, we won't have gained anything.
>
> I'm not sure I get the point -- besides your usual meanness, that is :-)

The report was good while it lasted.  If we don't have a report,
then many people will subscribe to both the -beginner list and the
-user list (and maybe even the -devel list).  That reduces the
effectiveness of multiple mailing lists.

If somebody (not necessarily you) were willing to monitor multiple
mailing lists and write a newsletter about them every two weeks or
so, then I think that inventing a -beginner list is a great idea.
If not, then I don't think that -beginner would work so well.

Cheers,
- Graham