Sliding fingering indication

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Sliding fingering indication
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 22:19:48 +1100

It's quite common in guitar scores to have a fingering indication with a
dash in front of it, to indicate that the finger should be slid along the
string from the previous fretting position rather than being lifted. I can
do this in Lilypond, but only if the fingering appears in the default
location above the stave, which doesn't really work for chords.

I can have, for example

fis-\markup {\finger "--3"}

which puts the indication above the stave, but if I try to use <> around
this to get the indication alongside the notehead as with a normal fingering
indication, I get a warning and the fingering doesn't appear at all: if I
try <fs-\markup {\finger "--3"}> then the log contains

warning: cannot add text scripts to individual note heads
        <fs-\markup {\finger "--3"}>

See attached excerpt from a score, which shows what I want to do. I'm using
2.11.63.

Nick Payne