Re: confused about transposing from treble clef to bass clef

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: confused about transposing from treble clef to bass clef
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 11:46:03 -0800

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 12:23:54PM -0700, chip wrote:
> Now I am looking through the 2.11 docs and searching (using my browsers
> Find function) for Syntax and File Syntax and finding lots of entries
> for Syntax but not File Syntax.

Oh bloody mao, here we go again.

Look here guys.  I get annoyed when I see people doing way too
much effort.  Chip and Jonathan were working way too hard on
something so simple.

Chip, read these 3 doc pages, and only these 3.  Don't search for
anything.  Do not pass go.  Do not collection $200.

LM 2.3.1 Music expressions explained
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/Music-expressions-explained

LM 3.1.1 Introduction to the LilyPond file structure
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/Introduction-to-the-LilyPond-file-structure#Introduction-to-the-LilyPond-file-structure

LM 3.1.2 Score is a (single) compound musical expression
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/Score-is-a-_0028single_0029-compound-musical-expression#Score-is-a-_0028single_0029-compound-musical-expression

Done that?  Good.  Now if you look me in the metaphorical eye and
say "I don't see what's wrong with
\score{
  \expr1
  \expr2
  \layout{}
}
"
then I will apologize for being curt.  And then I'll listen to
your suggestions for the docs.

>    As a noob to Lilypond I find delving through the Learning Manual, the
> Notation Reference, Examples and Snippets Library a daunting task, to try
> to figure out something that turned out to be so simple. It appears to me
> that these documents are not written for the complete noob like me, but
> for someone who already has a clue.

Start reading from LM 2.  From the beginning.  Forget whatever you
think you know about lilypond.  Your experience with the 2.10 docs
is counter-productive here.

Oh, you might also find this helpful:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/About-the-documentation#About-the-documentation

>     There are going to be noobs out here who will ask completely inane
> or simple questions, to you guys the answers to which will seem to be
> obvious and easy to find, but that's because you know the lingo and the
> manuals inside-out. We don't know the right words or the correct way to
> look for the answers. Until I started using Lilypond I'd never seen the
> word grob or glob or whatever it is, and don't know what it is,
> therefore I wouldn't know how to ask a question that might refer to one.
>     Well I suppose enough for now, I hope the examples help shed some
> light on the situation. I've been able to find pretty much everything
> needed so far by digging around in the manuals, but it does take a lot
> of digging.

That's because you're digging.  The LM does *exactly* what you
want; the only problem is that you think you know something about
lilypond from 2.10, and haven't sat down to read the 2.11 LM front
to cover.

Cheers,
- Graham