Re: problems with learning lilypond

From: Ari Torhamo
Subject: Re: problems with learning lilypond
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 00:28:11 +0200

ke, 2008-11-19 kello 00:54 -0800, John Sellers kirjoitti:

[...]

> I've used lilypond off and on for a few years AND HAVE NEVER BEEN ABLE
> TO REALLY LEARN IT WELL!
>
> There are five reasons
>
> 1) lack of context
> 2) lack of context
> 3) lack of context
> 4) lack of context
> 5) lack of context
> 6) NOTHING HAS MEANING WITHOUT CONTEXT --- EVER!

[...]

This is exactly what has frustrated me so many times - thanks for
putting it into words so elegantly ;-) 2.11 documentation makes a large
step into right direction in this respect (I whish I was told earlier to
use 2.11 instead of 2.10), and I hope the documenters will have the
patience to cover the contexts even more widely in the future versions.
I must add that in my eyes the Lilypond documentation (especially 2.11)
is generally exellent, and you can really see that those who are doing
it want to get it right in every way.

Unfortunately I can't say much about your idea on depencies, as I'm not
a developer.

Cheers,

Ari Torhamo