musicxml2ly

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: musicxml2ly
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 08:43:00 +0100

Hi,

Reading about improved MusicXML support for Lilypond 2.11.64 I decided
to play around with the musicxml2ly tool a bit. I downloaded the
collection of 18 MusicXML examples from

        http://www.recordare.com/xml/samples.html

and processed them with musicxml2ly. Then I processed the resulting *.ly
files with Lilypond (version 2.11.64).

I will not describe in detail here what the results were. Some examples
showed good results, some showed really obvious typestting errors, some
examples exited with error messages when processed by Lilypond. Everyone
who is interested can try it for himself (herself? A suggestion for
quite another thread topic: Are there any women using Lilypond ? I
haven't seen them yet. )

I don't expect all the examples from recordare to be rendered perfectly
with the very next devel. version of Lilypond.

But I do think the example collection from the Recordare website
provides an interesting set of benchmarks for the development team to
test both musicxml2ly and lilypond. To find bugs and/or chances for
improving and finetuning Lilypond and musicxml2ly.

As a a comparison I also tried the examples with the new Finale Notepad
2009. I hate to admit it but: At this moment Finale Notepad does a
better MusicXML rendering job than Lily.

--

Martin Tarenskeen