Re: suppressing bar numbers at rehearsal marks?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: suppressing bar numbers at rehearsal marks?
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 17:58:03 +0100

Mark Polesky wrote:
Mats Bengtsson wrote:
In such a situation, I don't see the point of printing any bar numbers the "normal" way, so you could just remove the standard bar numbers completely, see the manual.

The reason for printing the bar numbers makes sense if the
rehearsal numbers come every 30 bars or so -- long stretches
of music would be without bar numbers, which is unacceptable.
Certainly, but I still don't see the point of using boxed/circled bar numbers mixed with ordinary bar numbers. As a musician, I would just find it confusing. If you want rehearsal marks every 30 bars or so, I would expect to see alphabetic
rehearsal marks.
If you have a good reason to do what you ask for, why not simply define a macro which both draws a rehearsal mark and does a \once \override BarNumber #'transparent = ##t

   /Mats