Re: question about transposing an interval of a 4th

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: question about transposing an interval of a 4th
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 06:34:09 -0800

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 10:00:21AM +0100, James E. Bailey wrote:

> Am 22.12.2008 um 20:57 schrieb Graham Percival:
>
>> I'll point out that half a dozen other people, including music
>> professors, have asked him for clarification after reading that
>> email.  So my confusion is not just me being a jerk.
>
> Sorry, perhaps you didn't continue the email thread and read http://
> lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-12/msg00571.html
> "The second part I want to transpose also for Trumpet, also in the key of
> D, but a fourth lower."
>
> Or perhaps the email here
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-12/msg00602.html
> "How much clearer can I make it? The questions are answered in the posts
> right above the questions. A trumpet part in the key of D but notated a
> fourth lower, still in the key of D, as described above."

Umm... yeah.  The fact that he thinks this answers the question
gives me *less* confidence that he knows what he's talking about.
If he wanted it a perfect fourth lower, then \transpose does the
job.  And normally when somebody says "a fourth lower", they mean
a perfect interval.  If he wants it a variable fourth lower, then
it's not doable without scheme.

- Graham